This is a story I read to the substance abuse group I counsel and is one that I think you will enjoy also. If you think you are having a rough go of it let me tell you about a donkey. It all starts on a farm and on this farm there was a donkey ei-ei-o… ok I could not resist. Anyway back to the donkey. On this farm there was also a dried up well which this donkey had falling into. The farmer tried everything he knew how to get this donkey out of the well, but nothing worked. As he was trying to get the donkey out of the well the word spread around town and people started showing up to see if they could help. No one knew what to do. This well had been dry for some time. The farmer decided to fill the well up with dirt so this does not happen to any other animal. With the help of the towns people they began to shovel dirt into the well with the donkey. Now you can only imagine how the donkey must of felt, but something unexpected happened when the farmer looked down the well. When the shovel of dirt was dropped onto the donkey’s back the donkey shook it off and took a step up. With each shovel of dirt that was dropped down the well the donkey would shake it off and take a step up. The farmer and towns people were delighted and after a while the donkey was able to step up and out of the dried up well. This story has a lesson in it and can mean a few different things. You decide which meaning works best for you. Such as:
1. This story is to share with you that there will be hard times in life and sometimes you just have to shake it off and take a step up.
2. Sometimes you have to act like an ass
3. Watch where you are walking so you do not fall into a deep well.
4. Improve you social support by getting to know your neighbors incase you need help.
5. Don’t buy a farm?
6. Sometimes our prayers are answered in which at first it may seem like it is killing us, or maybe we have to give up everything, but looking back the answer is really giving us life.
I do not know who wrote this story but thank you anonymous writer.
If you find my blog helpful and would like to read more of what I have written go to Amazon.com Kindle were you can download my novel The Soul’s Crossing. An inspiring novel of a counselors journey who finds out what is on the other side of the veil of life and learns how he can change his destiny. Tell me what you think. Enjoy!